Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Alpaca Farm

I fulfilled my new dream of going to a real live alpaca farm last Saturday. It was amazing. There were 5 new babies, most born in the last 5 weeks, one being born the day before. Babies alpaca are called Cria, pictured here...


I went with my women's group from church to learn about God's creatures, and how to take care of them. We learned an interesting tid bit about breeding of Alpacas. If a female is pregnant, and approaches a male, she will rear back and spit on him. If she isn't pregnant she will lay down and prepare to mate. Our wonderful guides led a female and male out to meet in the hallway to see and show us if she was pregnant. She was not pregnant, but little did we know we were going to get the whole show. Yes, we saw alpacas perpetuating the species, and I don't think anyone will be the same. It was rad.


My sister Jamie and one of the gents


All the single ladies! They segregate the ladies from the gents.

No comments:

Post a Comment